Starch is not always unhealthy. Some foods which contain starch are rich source of energy and nutrients. Here are 7 most amazing starchy food you must add to your everyday meal.
In the world full of low crab diets, eating food loaded with starch might sound evil to you, especially when it comes to weight loss. But there are many foods which contain starch which are healthy and rich in various nutrients, including fiber, minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients.
Starches are the most commonly consumed source of carbohydrates. They work as an important fuel or energy source for your body. Starches are the complex carbohydrates. The most important function of starch is to convert glucose into energy. These carbohydrates are made up of sugar molecules slinging together and forming complex and long chain.
Complex carbohydrate is rich in fiber and improves digestion. They take more time to digest which leads to slow and steady rise in blood sugar levels. Energy level stays high and they keep you full for longer.
Another category of starch is resistance starches and their key role is to bypass digestion and contribute to feeding the bacteria in gut and helps in the formation of short-chain fatty acid such as butyrate, which keep the colon healthy.
So here are those 7 powerful starchy foods which are enriched with energy and will make you go whole day and also prevent you from compulsive eating.
Whenever someone suggests you to eat potato or add them into your meal, people object to it and the reason is simple “potatoes increase fat”. But a study done previously proves that consumption of potatoes (resistance starch) can boost the growth of colonic probiotics. This study was done on rats. Increase in short chain fatty acid concentration was observed when these rats were fed with potato fiber. These fatty acids were found to boost gut micro-biota and even reduces inflammation in gut and other body parts.
So potatoes are a rich source of energy as well. Another study states that the resistant starch in potatoes may decrease postprandial blood glucose levels.
Rice is an extremely good source of starch. Type of starch which is present in rice may take several hours to digest or may not digest at all. Resistance starch in rice acts as a source of dietary fiber.
But it is suggested to keep a count on your rice consumption. Excess consumption of rice with lack of physical exercise may cause disease complications.
Whole wheat breads are made of bran, germ and the endosperm. Endosperm is the starchy part present in whole wheat bread. The bran and germ in whole wheat contain dietary fibers, phytochemicals, and other important micronutrients. Studies suggest that, grains in whole wheat can cut the risk of obesity, cancer, type 2 diabetes and even cardiovascular disease. So, it is healthy to add whole wheat bread in your diet charts.
Lentils only contain 35% of digestible starch whereas remaining 65% is resistance starch. So which means human body cannot digest high amount of lentils. They serve as an amazing source of dietary fiber. Each ½ cup of serving offers 3.4 grams of resistance fiber which helps in boosting metabolism and burn fat.
If you are planning to drop grains from your diet, you better drop your idea. Instead of choosing refined grains replace them with the whole grains. Starch present in whole grains is the most nutritious one and is extremely healthy. Whole grains include bulgur, oatmeal, popcorn, whole rye, wild rice, buckwheat, triticale and sorghum.
Beans are one of the healthiest starch options because they are a rich source fiber, plant based protein and antioxidants. Beans can also help in stabilizing blood glucose levels or even prevent diabetes. Beans are high in fiber, which can help lower blood glucose. Research says that, consumption of beans can cut the risk of heart diseases and even reduce the level of bad cholesterol.
Last but not the least unripe bananas contain high source of starch. It is hard to eat unripe banana as everyone loves ripen and soften one but if you want starch out of it than it must be eaten before it ripens and softens.
These are the most powerful 7 foods rich in starch. Ensure you take all of them in the ideal amounts for the maximum benefits.
Read more articles on Diet and Fitness.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.