There are many over-the-counter painkillers available to treat earache. Here is a list of common treatment options available for earaches.
Doctor will examine your ear with the help of an instrument called an otoscope, after checking the signs. The instrument will make out if eardrum is healthy eardrum (reflected by pink gray colour and transparent) or has been inflamed, swollen (red colour). Moreover, pressure caused by fluid in the middle ear is checked with a pneumatic otoscope.
You can try many things and remedies to get relief from ear pain. The common treatment options for earaches are the following.
- The quickest way to relieve an earache is through the chewing of a gum.
- A cold compress held on the outside of the ear will help alleviate some of the pain.
- Over the counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen can be had.
- Over the counter ear drops too can be used, only if the ear drum has not ruptured.
- Children with ear ache problems should seek medical assistance because it is not advisable to give children medication without knowing the actual cause of the ache.
- Blockages in the ear can be cleared with hydrogen peroxide, which is best when carried out by a doctor.
Most earaches are treatable and the permanent damage to the ear or hearing ability is rare with proper treatment. Earaches may become serious when left untreated. A middle ear infection can have long-term effects such as inner ear infection, scarring of the eardrum, hearing loss, speech development problems in children and facial paralysis. One may develop serious medical conditions such as mastoiditis (infection of the skull behind the ear) and meningitis (infection in the tissues around the brain and spinal cord).
Read more articles on Earache
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.