There's no one sure cure for burning mouth syndrome. Your doctor will treat you based on your signs and symptoms, and the probable underlying condition. Treatment of the underlying cause can improve the symptoms of burning mouth syndrome. However if the symptoms are not secondary to an underlying disease treatment can be challenging. Treatment options include:
- Anticonvulsant medication clonazepam given in lozenge form
- Alpha-lipoic acid, which is an antioxidant produced naturally in the body
- Medications to treat oral thrush
- Some antidepressants
- Multivitamins and B vitamins
- Psychological counseling
- Some specific oral rinses or mouth washes
- Saliva replacement agents
Surgery is generally not recommended for burning mouth syndrome.
Read more articles on Burning Mouth Syndrome
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.