Symptoms of septo optic dysplasia may include blindness in one or both eyes, pupil dilation in response to light, nystagmus, inward and outward deviation of the eyes, hypotonia and hormonal problems.
Septo-optic dysplasia is a rare congenital malformation syndrome that features the underdevelopment of the patient’s optic nerve, dysfunction of the pituitary gland and the lack of presence of the septum pellucidum. For the doctor to make a diagnosis, the patient must have at least of two of these features. Only about 30 percent of the patients have the three features.
Some of the symptoms of this disease include the following:
• A malformed or abnormally developed optic disk
• Deficiencies of the pituitary
• Agenesis of the septum pellucidum
• Blindness in both the eyes
• Blindness in just one eye
• Dilation of the pupils in response to light
• Inward as well as outward deviation of the eyes
• Nystagmus; rapid, involuntary to-and-fro eye movement
• Problems with the hormones
• Normal intelligence; not all the patients suffering from this disease have some form of a mental problem
• Disabilities in learning
• Mental retardation; again, not everyone has to deal with this symptom
• Delay in development.
So as to know the full picture of the symptoms of this condition, it may become necessary to examine the symptoms that can be caused by complication of the condition, underlying causes of this condition, associated conditions and the risk factors of septo-optic dysplasia or other related conditions.
Read more articles on Understand Septo-optic Dysplasia.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.