Newborn Care- One of the common and early symptom of baby diaper rashes is skin redness. However if not taken care of then they turn out to be painful sores.
Diaper rash occurs when urinary wetness increases skin friction followed by an increase in the pH balance of the skin, thereby making the skin less cohesive and more permeable. It is a common skin problem, which occurs in babies and can be easily treated in a few days. Skin wetness is the main reason that causes diaper rash.
Different Types of Diaper Rash
To identify the symptoms of a diaper rash, you must be aware of the various kinds of diaper rashes that exist.
- Friction rash: Friction rash is the most common form of baby diaper rash that affects almost all the babies at some point or the other. A friction rash is likely to affect those areas that are prone to friction, like, the inner thighs, and the areas under the elastic of the diapers that sit very tight. It is quite frequent and can be avoided by frequent diaper changes and proper hygiene practice.
- Allergic rash: Allergic rash is also very common among babies and might make the skin appear like it has been exposed to poison ivy.
- Irritant rash: Irritant rash mostly becomes visible on the exposed areas, such as the top part of the buttocks. It ordinarily does not occur in skin folds andcreases. Irritant rash is a consequence of contact with stool enzymes and irritants such as harsh soaps, detergents, baby wipes, and topical medicines.
- Heat rash: Heat rash is caused by the blockage of pores of the sweat glands. Its occurrence does not have to do anything with age but is usually seen in children.
- Prickly heat: Prickly heat rash is similar to heat rash as it also appears in hot and humid weather.
- Intertrigo: This type of rash occurs deep in the skin folds and happens because of moisture and heat. Intertrigo rash makes the skin appear thinner as if it has lost several layers.
- Psoriasis: Psoriasis is a stubborn diaper rash that sometimes refuses to go. It may or may not look distinctive.
Signs or Symptoms of Baby Diaper Rash
It is not very difficult to locate a baby diaper rash. Some of the symptoms of baby diaper rash are:
- Redness of the skin: A diaper rash is marked by puffy, red and tender looking skin in and around the region where the diaper is placed. These regions include the buttocks, thigh and genitals.
- Rash skin is warmer: The part of the skin, which is exposed to the rash, will be warmer than the normal skin.
- Behaviour of the baby gradually changes: If the baby has a diaper rash, it will seem uncomfortable especially when you are changing the diaper or washing the area where the diaper was placed.
- Open sores: Open sores are painful and are visible only in extreme and severe cases of diaper rash.
Diaper rashes are very common. Every infant is likely to have diaper rash and it is the responsibility of the care providers ensure the highest possible level of hygiene.
Read more articles on Newborn Care
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.