Stomach cancer, also called gastric cancer, is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the lining of the stomach. Many types of cancer can occur in the stomach, although most of them start from the common cell types found in the lining of the
Stomach cancer, also referred to as gastric cancer, is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the stomach lining. There are many types of cancer that can occur in the stomach, most of them starts from the common cell types found in the lining of the stomach.
Types of Stomach Cancer
Stomach cancer is categorised on the basis of the type of tissue where they originate from. The most common stomach cancer is adenocarcinoma, accounting for 90% to 95% of all stomach cancers, starts in the glandular tissue of the stomach. Among other forms of stomach cancer include lymphomas (originate in the lymphatic system) and sarcomas (involve the connective tissue such as muscle, fat, or blood vessels).
The following factors increase the risk of stomach cancer by manifolds.
- A diet high in salted or pickled foods.
- Alcohol and tobacco use.
- Chronic stomach disorders such as gastritis.
- History of stomach surgery.
- Family members who have been diagnosed with stomach cancer. Genetic abnormalities of the family members increase your risk of developing the cancer form.
- Being male; stomach cancer is more common in men than women.
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection of the stomach, an infection caused by H. pylori bacterium put one at greater risk of stomach cancer. The bacterium infects the lining of the stomach to cause chronic inflammation and ulcers.
- Medical conditions such as chronic gastritis, pernicious anaemia, gastric polyps and intestinal metaplasia elevates the risk of stomach cancer.
Read more articles on Cancer
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.