The occurrence of breast cancer in men is mostly seen with increase in age though younger men are at risk too.
Just like in the case of breast cancer in women, the causes behind the occurrence of this condition in men are not known why to happen. Both environmental factors and genetic factors play a role. The following factors play different roles in the occurrence of this disease.
- Age factor: the occurrence of breast cancer in men is mostly seen with increase in age though younger men are at risk too.
- Genetics: a familial predisposition towards breast cancer can put men at risk. Inheriting mutated genes of this condition from any of the parents is a risk.
- Radiation exposure: men who have undergone any prior radiation therapy to treat any malignant tumor in the chest area such as Hodgkin’s lymphoma put themselves at risk too. Prolonged exposure to such radiation at a young age may put you at risk of breast cancer at a later stage.
- High estrogen levels: Estrogen which is a female hormone is produced in a man’s body in small amounts but can increase due to many reasons. High levels of estrogen due to liver damage, obesity and other genetic factors can cause male breast cancer.
- Klinefelter’s syndrome: it is an extremely rare genetic condition where a man is born with an extra female chromosome. Men are born with an X and Y chromosome but in this condition there is more than one female chromosome. This condition can also increase a man’s risk of breast cancer.
- Intake of excess alcohol can put you at risk of male breast cancer.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.