Even though colonoscopy is a safe and commonly practiced method, you may face complications for it.
The risks of colonoscopy would include heavy bleeding, intestinal perforation which is basically poking a hole in the gut, infection, adverse reaction to the sedatives, and also bowel infection. You must however know that such complications rarely do occur and are in fact far less common with colonoscopies that are not involved in the removal of polyp.
[Read: Preparing for Colonoscopy]
Colonoscopy Risks becoming Colonoscopy Complications
You may contemplate the chances of these risks turning into complications, but you may want to know the results of studies that show that chances are rare.
A study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine provided some insight on this.
Researchers in the study reviewed colon cancer screening data from 1966 to 2001, and they discovered the following:
- Perforation occurred in 0.029 percent to 0.72 percent of colonoscopies.
- Heavy bleeding occurred in 0.2 percent to 2.67 percent of colonoscopies.
- Death occurred in about 0.003 percent to 0.03 percent of colonoscopies.
Minimizing Colonoscopy Risks?
Your doctor needs to have a clear view while navigating the colon, and so here are some suggestions:
- You must pick someone whose job it is to do colonoscopies, and not just your regular family doctor.
- Keep an experienced anesthesiologist present beside you in case you have an adverse reaction to the sedative.
- It should be done near or in a hospital, so that if bowel perforation occurs, you can get it repaired right away.
A study published in Gastroenterology Nursing found that colonoscopy risks, duration, and discomfort could be minimized if the doctor used certain abdominal pressure techniques during the procedure. Hence you can ask your doctor if he could use such techniques, only if it is safe and plausible.
Read more articles on Colonoscopy
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.