Find out the symptoms of pre-diabetes. Prediabetes can take a long time to transform finally as diabetes.
People with pre-diabetes do not have any specific sign or symptoms. People with pre diabetes you have glucose intolerance - that is their blood sugar levels are high but their body is still producing insulin. However the insulin produced in not enough to keep the blood glucose level in the normal range.
Pre-diabetes is important because it increases your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Remember that changes in your lifestyle and diet can help you to improve your glucose tolerance. Diet and lifestyle changes that can improve pre-diabetes include;
- Maintain your body weight as healthy as possible. If you are obese try to lose weight.
- DO regular exercises—moderate physical activity on most days of a week for 30-40 minutes is considered adequate.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet---try to include a variety of foods from each major food group in your diet.
- Limit your intake of animal foods, whole milk dairy products
- Limit intake of sweets and salt, alcoholic beverages
- Take care of your portion sizes. Do not take more calories than required. All excess calories are converted to fats and stored in the body and excess calorie causes rise in blood sugar level.
Your doctor may recommend an oral glucose tolerance test to measure the sugar levels in your blood. The test can help to determine if you have diabetes or pre-diabetes.
Dr Poonam Sachdeva, our in-house medical expert talks about the why what and how in diabetes.
Read more articles on Diabetes Symptoms
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.