Some of the Insulin side effects in diabetes include pain at injection site, weight gain, low and high blood sugar levels, etc.
Insulin is a drug that is given to people with diabetes to control blood sugar. It is available as injection and cannot be given orally. Like any other drug it also has side effects.
Some of the side effects of Insulin include;
- Pain at injection site
- Low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia): This is the commonest side effect and occurs---if you do not eat adequate after the injection or the dose is high
- High blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia): If the dose is inadequate
- Weight gain: This is a common and undesirable effect of insulin injection.
- Skin reaction at the site of the injection
- Skin thickening or pitting at the site of the injection.
- Insulin resistance: After prolonged use of insulin you can develop insulin resistance. This means that you will need higher dose of insulin to control your blood sugar.
- Allergic reaction to insulin injection: The allergic reactions to insulin are potentially serious.
Dr Poonam Sachdeva, our in-house medical expert talks about the why what and how in diabetes.
Read more articles on Diabetes Causes and Risks
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.