A high blood sugar or elevated blood sugar is a diagnostic finding of diabetes.
A high blood sugar or elevated blood sugar is a diagnostic finding of diabetes. One isolated episode of elevated blood sugar level is of no significance. But if your blood sugar levels remain persistently high it can cause several symptoms.
Some common symptoms in people with elevated glucose levels include;
- Dry mouth
- Increased thirst and frequent urination: Elevated blood sugar in the blood causes fluids to move out your cells. This makes you feel thirsty----and so you drink more water----this leads to frequent urination
- Increased frequency of urination during the night
- Increased hunger---as your body cannot use the glucose in the blood your muscles and other tissues become depleted of energy source----so you feel hungry more frequently.
- Blurred vision: Elevated glucose levels in the blood leads to loss of fluid from the lenses of your eyes----which can affect your ability to focus and see clearly.
- Dry, itchy skin.
- Patches of darkened skin.
- Fatigue or drowsiness
- Weight loss
- Slow-healing sores or frequent infections.
If hyperglycemia or elevated glucose levels persist for a long time (several hours or days) it can cause dehydration, and other symptoms like;
- Difficulty in breathing
- Giddiness on standing
- Weight loss
- Drowsiness, stupor and confusion
- Loss of consciousness or coma
If you have symptoms suggestive of elevated glucose levels ----get your blood sugar levels tested.
Dr Poonam Sachdeva, our in-house medical expert talks about the why what and how in diabetes.
Read more articles on Diabetes Diagnosis
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.