Doctors recommend special pregnancy diet but they also insist on avoiding certain harmful foods. Learn which foods can be detrimental to your health.
A baby is inside you and before it can come out and claw its food without asking, it depends on whatever you eat. So, we suggest be wise aand safe.
Clearly, foods to avoid when pregnant would include those that hamper the foetal development and those that can cause serious infections to the mother. Doctors advise that it is as important to take the useful recommended food during pregnancy as it is to strictly avoid the damaging ones.
Foods to Quit Eating Right Away
- Doctors advise against alcohol as the foremost of pregnancy diet restriction. It causes many health problems to the baby, including low body weight, visual problems, learning disabilities, deformity of organs and others.
- Consumption of caffeinated drinks puts a pregnant woman under the risk of miscarriage and premature birth. This is why you may need to give your regular cup of coffee a miss for the sake of your baby’s health.
- Fish that have high levels of mercury such as Swordfish, Shark, King Mackerel, Tilefish should be strictly avoided during pregnancy. Mercury consumption leads to delay in the brain formation of the baby.
- Keep away from raw eggs. They contain bacteria called Salmonella which causes food poisoning and other diseases. You need to avoid dishes like caeser salad, cookie batter and eggnog as they have raw eggs.
- Smoked seafood contains bacteria called Listeria which is very harmful. Be particularly wary if it is refrigerated.
- There is a class of organic compounds found in fish from lakes and rivers that are damaging for health. So, avoid fish varieties like bluefish, pike, salmon, striped bass, trout and walleye. Raw shellfish is another kind of food that needs to be avoided as it causes many seafood-borne diseases.
- Many varieties of soft cheese contain the harmful bacteria Listeria found in smoked seafood. It can infect the baby and also lead to blood poisoning in the mother.
- Vegetables cannot be avoided during pregnancy but you need to make sure that they are thoroughly washed before you consume them. Vegetables can be exposed to toxoplasmosis, a parasitic disease of plants.
- Never consume unpasteurised milk during pregnancy. It contains Listeria which is, as mentioned, detrimental to health because of its infections and miscarriage causing properties.
You need to make sure that not only you stick to your recommended food during pregnancy but also pay equal attention to what you need to avoid in this condition.
Read more articles on Pregnancy Diet.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.