Nausea and vomiting are symptoms which can be caused by several different diseases or illness. Read to know some of the causes of nausea.
Common causes of nausea include:
- Infection (stomach flu), or any other illness.
- Food poisoning.
- Motion sickness.
- Alcohol intoxication.
- Medicines: Nausea and vomiting can be a side effect of almost any medication. Certain medication such as chemotherapy drugs for cancer and anaesthetic agents are well known for causing nausea and vomiting.
- Blocked intestine.
- Concussion or brain injury.
- Appendicitis infection and inflammation of the appendix.
- Headache (migraines).
- Severe pain.
- Emotional stress (fear).
- Gallbladder and liver disease.
Most causes of nausea and vomiting are harmless, but it can be the sign of a more serious illness. Some serious conditions which can cause nausea or vomiting are brain injury (concussions), encephalitis, meningitis, intestinal blockage, appendicitis, migraine headaches, brain tumours and chemotherapy.
The common causes of nausea and vomiting are different with age:
- Adults: Nausea and vomiting are commonly caused by stomach infection and food poisoning, and occasionally motion sickness.
- Children: Nausea and vomiting may occur due to stomach infection, other infections associated with high fever, food poisoning, motion sickness, overeating or feeding, and cough.
- Woman of children bearing age group: Pregnancy is the commonest cause of nausea and vomiting.
Some serious side effects of nausea and vomiting are dehydration, loss of weight, and malnutrition. Most cases of nausea and vomiting are relieved with treatment at home, but if home treatment is not working, you are dehydrated, or nausea occurs after an injury (such as head injury) or there is an associated infection; consult your doctor.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.