Cancer has its friends to knock you over and shatter your health and fitness, find out the relation between cancer and weight gain, and how you can prevent it.
To be surviving from cancer and its dreadful side-effects is in itself severe agony. Imagine to also gain weight as a consequence of cancer in this world of size zero. Terrible! Let's understand why cancer patients gain weight and whether there are any ways we can reverse the trouble.
A cancer patient may put on unwanted weight because of the following reasons:
1. People with certain types of cancer such as those of the pancreas, colon, breast, kidney, thyroid, etc are more likely to gain weight.
2. Hormone therapy, certain types of chemotherapy and medication may cause weight gain. These treatments may also cause your body to retain water, which will make you feel puffy and theretby gain weight.
3. Some treatments may also increase your appetite so you feel hungry and eat more.
4. Cancer and its treatments may induce fatigue leading to a decrease in activity.
[Read: Types of Cancer Treatment]
Do not go on a diet to lose weight before consulting your doctor. He or she will help you figure out why you are gaining weight and discuss what you can do to prevent it.
1. Discuss with a dietician about the ways you can limit salt intake if fluid retention is causing your weight gain.
2. Exercise each day. Not only does exercise help you burn calories, it also helps the body to heal faster. Talk with your doctor or nurse about how much exercise you should do while undergoing cancer treatment.
When you are undergoing treatment for cancer, do not make modifications in your lifestyle unless being asked to by a doctor.
Read more articles on Understand Cancer
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.