Upper Back Pain Treatment: An aching upper backache can make you immovable and bring your life to a standstill. Take help of these pain management techniques to ease the pain.
A severe back pain that hinders one’s daily routine is not any less than a nightmare. The usual course of action for relieving back pain is using a pain ointment or taking over-the-counter painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs. If these fail to bring relief to the pain, you may employ enlisted effective back pain management techniques.
Physiotherapy: Physiotherapy is an alternative pain management technique which does not use medication. Instead, it uses ice packs, sources of heat and electrical stimulation along with back exercises such as hip bridge exercise, lumbar stabilisation exercise and knee-to-chest exercise. For patients seeking natural treatment of chronic back pain, physiotherapy is the best resort. Apart from easing pain, physiotherapy increases the body’s flexibility and strength. Moreover, due to the absence of drugs in physiotherapy, the latter safeguards the immune system from addiction and damage caused by them.
[Read: Physiotherapy for Back Pain]
Acupuncture: Acupuncture stimulates the normal flow of energy throughout the body and aids in healing and recovery from pain. When pressure is exerted on the acupuncture points, signals are transmitted to the central nervous system upon which the brain and the spinal cord release natural pain killers called endorphins. Endorphins obstruct the pain signals from being transferred to the brain, thereby, decreasing pain in the upper back. Listed below are the acupuncture points to alleviate back pain.
- The highest points on the trapezius muscles, the top of shoulders closer to the arms.
- The area between the shoulder blade and spine.
- Either sides of the spine at mid-back.
Yoga: Practicing yoga asanas brings unexpected relief to upper back pain provided it is done the right way. Talk to a yoga trainer to learn yoga exercises that bring back pain relief. These simple yoga poses for upper back pain may also be fruitful.
- Brahma Mudra: Sit in a lotus position while keeping your upper body straight. Now, inhale deeply while slowly turning your head to your left. Hold your breath and position for a few seconds. Repeat the process while looking in the opposite direction. Do not let your face droop while you turn it. Similarly practise Brahma Mudra while moving your chin upward and downward.
- Half Spinal Twist: It strengthens the back as and improves the functioning of kidneys, liver and the adrenal glands. Perform two sets of 10 repetitions each of this yoga pose to ease upper back pain.
[Read: Yoga Treatment for Back Pain]
Massage Therapy: Massaging your upper back increases blood circulation, helps in muscle relaxation and improves the range of motion, thus bringing relief to constant and chronic pain in your upper back. Place hot water bag on your aching back for 20 minutes twice in a day to relieve the pain should getting massage be difficult.
If the pain doesn’t subside despite resorting to pain management techniques, it is advised that you visit an orthopaedic.
Read more articles on
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.