Unusual cancer facts – Cancer is one of the leading causes of death in the world, especially in developing countries. Take a look at some of the uncommon facts of cancer that you may not be aware of.
Irrespective of whether one is young or old, rich or poor, man or woman, cancer can get anyone. There are over 100 forms of cancers with any part of the body being susceptible to growing cancerous tumour. Individuals, who get their cancer detected early, are highly likely to treat their cancer, though patients diagnosed with cancer in its last stage can also be relieved with good palliative care.
Mentioned below are some of the atypical and far-out facts about cancer.
- The 5 most common forms of cancer that kill men are those of the lungs, stomach, liver, colorectal and oesophagus. The most common cancer forms killing women are breast, lung, stomach, colorectal and cervical cancer.
- A study at the University of California suggested that cancer cells lurk in middle aged people while precancerous cells are common during middle and old age. Cancer is often considered a rare disease, but statistics suggest that the disease is not rare.
- Use of tobacco is the largest preventable cause of cancer. Over one fifth of cancers occur due to chronic infections that are also a leading cause of cancer. For example, Human papillomavirus (HPV) infection may lead to cervical cancer while hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection leads to liver cancer.
- The Global Healing Center report suggests that one out of three cancer patients will contain or cure cancer while one in four cancer patients die of the disease.
- More than 30 percent of cancer forms could be prevented by not using tobacco, adhering to a healthy dietary regimen, being physically active and preventing infections that may cause cancer. In most cases of cancer, deaths can be avoided. More than 30 percent of cancers can be prevented with healthy lifestyle choices and requisite immunisation against cancer causing infections. [Read: Tobacco Use and Health]
- Surgery for tumour removal is a risky affair as it can often lead to the spread of cancer cells within the body.
- Cancer tumours can disappear with time, testicular cancer tumours being best known for it. Professors at the University of British Columbia suggest that an advanced cancer can also go into a remission, though the biological phenomenon is rare.
- According to the American Cancer Society report, up to 80 percent of women, who have had sex, can be infected with HPV (human papilloma virus) at some time during their lives. Human papilloma virus (HPV) strains are one of the main causes of cervical cancer. [Read: How Cancer can Affect your Sex Life]
- According to scientists from the Cornell University, chemicals contained in apple peels can inflict the growth of breast cancer, liver cancer and colon cancer. This has questioned apple’s credibility as a nutritive food. [Read: Diet for Breast Cancer Patients]
Read more articles on Cancer
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.