Ayurveda is a holistic form of medicine that can be used as a natural treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. It involves herbs, oils and other practices that bring a balance in the energy levels.
Ayurveda is a holistic form of medicine that can be used as a natural treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. The practice focuses on establishing a balance between the vaya, pitta and the kapha, the three energetic forces of the body.
Ayurvedic treatment for rheumatoid arthritis involves herbs, oils and other practices that help bring a balance in the energy levels and get rid of complications of the condition.
Getting familiar with and trying some of the herbs used in Ayurvedic medicine is the first step in ayurvedic treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. These herbs can bring down inflammation. The following herbs are used in the natural treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Turmeric (Indian name – haldi) has anti-inflammatory properties and helps get rid of pain.
- Ginger root (Indian name – sunthi) helps improving conditions of pain and inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis patients.
- Licorice (Indian name – yashtimadhu) can help relieve pain the joints and reduce the body's inflammation.
- Garlic (Indian name - lehsun) is used to cleanse the body of toxins and improve the immune system.
Many different oils are used in ayurvedic medicine to help arthritis patients. These are sometimes used when herbs alone cannot help or sometimes in combination with herbs to relive the symptoms. The following Indian oils are used in the natural treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Mustard seed oil – The use of this oil in those with rheumatoid arthritis improves flexibility, muscle fatigue, stiffness and pain. You can also mix it with sesame oil to get rid of discomfort caused by the condition.
- Castor oil – You can try castor oil to improve circulation in the lower body, get rid of pain and help with imbalances in the body.
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil can also be helpful in ayurvedic treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Cedarwood oil – This oil can be used as aromatherapy to ease symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
Apart from herbs and oils, you need to make a few lifestyle modifications to make the ayurveda approach work. You need a detoxification diet in the natural treatment for rheumatoid arthritis that has a plenty of vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices. Such a diet revs metabolism and improves your appetite. The food options that you must try are carrot, beat root, cucumber juices, green salad, apples, grapes, papayas, oranges, squash and pumpkin. Spices such as turmeric, ginger, cumin and coriander in food give an added affect.
Ayurvedic treatment for rheumatoid arthritis also requires one to engage in some kind of moderate physical activity such as yoga. Specific yoga poses can help patients improve their symptoms and reverse the condition gradually. You should always consult a yoga instructor familiar when considering practicing yoga.
Read more articles on Ayurveda.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.