As told by Dr. Saurabh Joshi, here are some safe and effective treatment options for Varicose Veins.
Varicose veins are the bulgy blue veins on legs which can cause pain, swelling, skin darkening and even open wounds on the legs. It is a condition of twisted and enlarged veins caused by faulty valves or veins that cause stagnation of blood in the veins. Dr. Saurabh Joshi, Interventional and Radiology treatments of Vascular Diseases at The Vein Center, Mumbai explains that varicose veins could develop in any vein of your body but it affects legs commonly. Although uncertain, doctors and experts majorly believe that those people who stand too much are exposed to this ailment. However, there is also a strong genetic factor as it is seen to run in families.
The Problem Of Varicose Veins
This condition is a result of faulty valves in your veins that don’t allow them to pump the blood back to the heart. Due to this, the blood circulation becomes a key issue. Varicose veins may thus form whenever the blood pressure increases inside your veins. It could be caused by genetics, obesity, lifestyle or other underlying health condition. Varicose Veins doesn’t always a pain, the problem could be cosmetic for most of the people. However, for others, it could be the reason of excessive discomfort and ache. Thus, a lot of people are unaware of it and live their life normally with this ailment while for some this can be troublesome.
Started in the west, this system is exactly what its name suggests- a seal to glue the faults of your veins. This seal is meant to treat varicose veins and also helps with healing you of the symptoms almost immediately. An adhesive agent is used to cut off the blood supply to the affected veins.
- It’s a needle-prick procedure.
- It takes lesser time to heal.
- The patient can start recovering and moving on the same day.
- No compression socks to be worn.
- The patient will experience less pain while the procedure itself.
The early stage of varicose veins, also called spider veins which are more of a cosmetic issue can be treated by applying targeted transcutaneous laser. In this technique, laser light of a specific wavelength is applied to these spider veins. This causes local burning of the spider veins under 2 mm in diameter which is close to the skin.
Previously, detailed surgery was the only way out. Surgically, it was also known as stripping surgery wherein you had to cut open the region and manually rectify the fault in the veins. In this surgery, the faulty veins were cut open and removed from the affected area, to stop its growth.
- Slight prolonged pain in the area after surgery.
- Cases of recurrence have also been reported.
- Longer time to heal (since the stitches take time to settle down).
- A scar on the legs of varying length (depending on the length of veins).
Sclerotherapy is a procedure of injecting medicine that damages the wall of the veins internally. This treatment was popular as it has helped a lot of people by treating their veins completely and giving a good cosmetic result.
Endovenous laser treatment/ Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLA)
One of the most successful advancements in this field of research has been that of endovenous laser treatment where a needle-like IV is injected in the affected area and sent towards the faulty veins.
- This minimally invasive ultrasound-guided technique can get you back on your feet on the same day!
- Local anesthesia is used during the procedure.
- No painful stripping is involved.
- Results are said to be very rapid.
- Very little chances of recurrence.
With advancements in technology, a lot of doctors are using this technique today. This is done using ultrasound guidance and proficiency of diagnostic ultrasound is a major factor in the success of the procedure.
Also Read: Signs Of Emotional Trauma
This treatment involves a suction device with guarded blades which removes veins like a vacuum cleaner. In other words, the fluid is inducted around the veins that later illuminate light from beneath the skin with the help of powerful light. This technique can reduce the number of incisions for phlebectomy. This method is quite advantageous too:
- Helpful for those patients with varicose veins which are in large lumps or huge in number.
- Little or no scarring on the body.
- Recovery time is much lesser as compared to other treatments.
- The pain during the procedure is minimal too.
This procedure is different from the laser ablation in the way that laser treatment uses heat energy to treat the veins while this uses radio frequencies to obliterate the vein. Here, a probe is pulled slowly from the groin region with the simultaneous application of pressure.
- Typically takes a very short period for recovery.
- There are very few chances of blood clots being formed in the region.
- The post-surgery pain is minimal.
- Little or no chances of scar or marks in the skin.
Read more such articles in Other Diseases
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.