Depression is a treatable disease with medicines, with counselling, or with both. But besides this you have to make effort to beat depression. Here are some tips to beat depression.
[Read: Identify the Causes for your Depression]
- Take action and accept help: If you have symptoms suggestive of depression, try to learn about them through books or via the internet and seek professional help. Do not ignore your symptoms or try treatment at home because of guilt or shame. Remember that anybody can get depressed (it is not like you are depressed because you are weak in mind and not capable of handling pressures).
- Be positive: When a person is depressed everything seems bleak and the feeling of despair and helplessness is commonplace. Try to overcome all negative emotions with positivity. Think positive about yourself and focus on positive things.
- Socialise and be friendly: Don’t isolate yourself. Mix with family and friends. If you people around you who are supportive such as friends, spouse and siblings, you will be at a lesser risk of developing depression. Depression grows when you are lonely.
- Laugh and smile: Don’t be grouchy and angry. Find a reason to laugh and smile. Depression grows when you are filled with negative emotions. Remember that laughter is the best medicine!
- Keep yourself busy: Keep yourself as busy as possible through the day---by working at home, at your job, by volunteering for social work. As it is said an empty mind is a devil’s workshop---so make your day busy. This keeps the negative emotions at bay.
- Exercise: Exercise is not only good for preventing diseases such as diabetes and hypertension. It makes you fit and healthy and improves the overall feeling of well-being. Do any exercise you enjoy such as walking, jogging or cycling. If possible exercise with your partner or a friend.[Read: How Exercises Help to Fight Depression]
- Do yoga and meditate: Start yoga and meditation as they have several benefits. These can improve your physical health, mental stability and your ability to deal with stress with regular practice. Besides this they are good for spiritual growth as well. You can learn yoga and meditation by going to classes, from videos, books or web sites. [Read: Benefits of Laughter Yoga]
- Follow healthy sleeping habits: Try to have healthy sleeping habits. Sleep early (before 10 p.m.) and wake up early (before 6 a.m.).
- Eat healthy food: Include plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains in your daily diet. All these improve your overall health and make you feel good.
Depression is a treatable disease. But you have to make an active effort as well to beat depression. This can help the medicines to act better and make it easier to treat.
Read more articles on Understand Depression.