Symptoms of peyronie's disease may appear suddenly or develop gradually. Some symptoms are scar tissue on penis, erecticle problems and pain in the penis.
Peyronie's disease can affect any age group from adolescence onwards, but it occurs most commonly in middle aged men (40 to 60 years old). According to some studies, it affects about 1 in a 100 (0.4 to 1.0 per cent) of the middle-aged male population, but many experts believe that it affects about 4 per cent of men over the age of 40 years. The disease causes very variable degrees of deformity of the penis and symptoms. Symptoms of the disease may appear suddenly or may develop gradually.
Common signs and symptoms of Peyronie's disease are:
- Scar tissue: You may feel the scar tissue (plaques) of Peyronie's disease under the skin of the penis as flat lumps or a band of hard tissue.
- Bend to the penis: The curvature of the penis may change i.e. it may be curved upward, downward or bent to one side. In some cases, the erect penis appears like an "hourglass" (due to a tight, narrow band around the shaft).The curvature associated with Peyronie's disease gradually worsens in some people and at some point, stops. Occasionally, the curvature may improve without treatment.
- Erection problems: Some people may have problems getting or maintaining an erection (erectile dysfunction).Erectile dysfunction (or impotence) in Peyronie's disease can vary in severity from a complete inability to attain and/or maintain an erection adequate for satisfactory sexual experience to a slight reduction in penile rigidity.
- Shortening of the penis: The penis may become shorter as a result of scar tissue in Peyronie's disease.
- Pain: Some people may have pain during an erection, orgasm or anytime the penis is touched. About 60% of men with Peyronie's disease have pain in the penis. In most cases, it gradually decreases and disappears without treatment with time (in a few months).
Read more articles on Peyronies Disease.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.