During Pregnancy - Swelling of feet is a common health condition affecting pregnant women. Know how to deal with swollen feet during pregnancy.
Edema is characterized by swollen extremities due to excessive water and fluid retention by tissues. Blood pools down in your feet as blood circulation is affected in the lower body due to excessive pressure from the growing uterus on the inferior vena cava (large vein that carries blood from the feet to the heart). Edema is mostly observed during third trimester of pregnancy and disappears very quickly after childbirth.
Edema is quite common and normal during pregnancy which poses no harm to the mother or the baby. If excessive swelling is noticed in the limbs and the face it is better to consult your doctor as it can be a sign of preeclampsia.
Solutions for Swollen Feet during Pregnancy
- Put your feet up whenever possible, as it will not let fluids pool in your legs. Take a leg rest or small stool.
- While lying down rest on your left side.
- Keep your legs straight whenever you lie down or sit. Crossing your legs can hamper blood circulation.
- Do easy leg movements such as stretching, wiggling toes, flexing your feet and rotating ankles.
- Take relaxing breaks from long hours of sitting and standing to move around, doing so will aid blood circulation.
- Wear comfortable footwear and socks so they do not constrict your legs and have ample space to allow normal swelling.
- Drink lots of water and exercise regularly.
- Have a nutritious diet; avoid excess sodium and junk food.
Read more articles on Problems During Pregnancy
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.