Healthy Eating - Learn how to make a great weight loss soup which can be made to your taste. Weight loss soups can help you feel full for longer.
Having soup has the distinct advantage in weight loss that you will feel full for longer periods of time and your cravings for snacks between meals go down considerably. Actually the stomach gets empty slower when you have soup as compared to solid food. People who take soup feel full for one and half hours longer than solid food eaters.
Nonetheless, you still need to be careful of choosing only healthy soups that help in weight loss and avoid those which have the reverse effect. Canned soups with high salt content, creamy soups rich in calories and soups made from vegetables with high glycemic index must be avoided if you are serious about losing weight.
The following is an example of good weight loss soup:
Recipe for Homemade Vegetable Soup Diet
This weight loss soup can be prepared quickly and most importantly, it has only 170 kcal per serving. It can be aptly described as a low calorie, low cholesterol soup appropriate for diabetes and keeping a healthy heart, low in saturated fat, sodium, and free from dairy with high fibre content.
The recipe would make 2 servings of a meal when cooked for 10 to 20 minutes depending on how tender
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 well-sized carrot, peeled and diced into 4cm match sticks (1 ½ inch long).
- 2 celery sticks diced into 4 cm match sticks, one and half inches long.
- 100g (3.6 oz) swede, peeled and cut into 4 cm (1 ½ inch) match sticks.
- 1 medium-sized onion, skinned and sliced.
- 2.5 ml (about half teaspoon) ground turmeric.
- 225g cauliflower, broken into floret.
- 1 litre (1 ¾ pints) vegetable stock.
- Salt and pepper according to taste.
- Fresh chives for garnishing.
Cooking Instructions for Homemade Vegetable Soup
1. Pour some olive oil in a saucepan, put all vegetables and cook for 2 minutes with occasional stirring.
2. Mix some turmeric and cook for about a minute. Now, pour the vegetable stock and correct seasoning. Let the mixture come to boil and allow it to simmer for 20 minutes. Your soup is ready to be served with a garnish of chives.
You can alter the soup’s taste by adding spices such as coriander, chilli or garlic, all of which are low in calories. Make sure that your choice of spices does not defeat the purpose of losing weight.
Read more articles on Healthy Eating
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.