The symptoms of cerebral malaria can become fatal within few days of onset. The signs of cerebral malaria include orthostatic hypotension chills, headache, muscle pain, lower blood pressure and altered state of consciousness.
You must have heard about malaria a thousand times, especially in the season of monsoon. But do you know about cerebral malaria? It is the most severe neurological complication, which is caused by plasmodium falciparum, (it is known to be a protozoan parasite). You will be shocked to know the method of transmission of this protozoan parasite, it is transmitted to human with the infected mosquito bites.
Why Cerebral malaria is dangerous?
Cerebral malaria is not like normal malaria, it is one of the life-threatening forms of malaria, which harms the brain through its effects and causes mutation.
Do you the early signs? The symptoms are:
- impaired consciousness
You will be shocked to know another characteristic, which is persistent orthostatic hypotension chills. Beware and be careful as the symptoms of cerebral malaria may take a few days to become fatal.
Also read: Causes of Malaria
Symptoms of Cerebral malaria
Initially, only few symptoms of cerebral malaria show up in both children and adults. These include:
- non-specific fever
- impaired consciousness
- convulsion and neurological abnormalities
- coma that may last for three days at a stretch.
The main symptoms of cerebral malaria include:
- persistent orthostatic hypotension chills
- muscle pain
- low blood pressure
- altered state of consciousness
In cerebral malaria, attacks may occur every second day and may last for 6-10 hours. The symptoms usually occur in three stages:
- Cold Stage: sensations of cold and extreme shivering. This may last for 1-2 hours.
- Hot Stage: It is characterised by headaches, vomiting, seizures in young children and high fever i.e. up to 107°F. This may last for 3-4 hours.
- Sweating Stage: It is characterised by profuse sweating and tiredness. This stage may last for 2-4 hours.
Common signs of cerebral malaria include:
- mild jaundice
- enlargement of liver and spleen
- kidney failure
- blood in urine
- rise in intracranial pressure
- delirium and seizures
- increased respiratory rate
The signs of cerebral malaria may become fatal within a few days. Since the natural resistance of immune system is not helpful, one must immediately go for artificial treatments.
Read more articles on Other Diseases
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.