As men age various sexual related problems occur with time. While low sex drive can be because of age related physical problems but mostly it is caused due to decreased testosterone levels in men. Men as they age face the following sexual problems:
- Loss of libido: Men experience less desire for sex and have difficulty in getting aroused.
- Erectile dysfunction: Having and sustaining an erection gets difficult.
- Slower ejaculation: Tendency to ejaculation takes time and feels less intense.
Ageing apart from causing psychological issues in men, can cause hormonal fluctuations too which can be termed as male menopause or andropause. Male menopause is a debatable topic as medical opinion is divided towards its existence but in other terms it can be referred to the decreased production of hormone testosterone. Testosterone plays a very important part in a man’s sexual health; it is at its peak during teens and declines as men age. Men can notice considerable difference in the body’s sexual response after the age of fifty. Erections take longer than usual and are not as firm with ejaculatory issues. Medications for age related conditions like cardiac problems, diabetes, high blood pressure and depression can alter sexual response in men.
Other age-related diseases which can hamper your sex life
- Cardiac conditions: If you have suffered a heart attack doctors advise abstinence for a short period of time. Cardiac patients can enjoy an active sex life like the rest of the people. Consult your doctor if you have any complicated conditions.
- Arthritis and joint pains: Painful joints can make sex seem an ordeal, so find other sex positions which put least amount of pressure on your joints. Take painkillers to deal with joint pains or consult your doctor for pain management methods. If you are suffering from back pains, use cushions beneath your hips to lighten the pressure.
- Psychological causes: Situations like stress, depression and anxiety can cause low sex drive.
After diagnostic tests confirm low testosterone levels, testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) may help deal with the symptoms. Loss of libido, depression and fatigue and other symptoms of male menopause can be treated with TRT. Treatment involves doses of testosterone through injections, pills and patches. Complete research has not yet been done on this treatment and it has its side effects.
Counseling and professional help are recommended as mostly age related sexual disorders are psychological or a symptom of an underlying disease.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.