The prevention of gonorrhoea can happen if you practice precaution. Living in a mutually monogamous relationship with a person who has been tested and is known not to be infected is an important method of prevention.
Gonorrhoea is a sexually transmitted disease which can be prevented if you take precautions. Measures which can prevent gonorrhoea or reduce the risk of infection include:
- Total abstinence from sex (this includes genital, oral, and anal sex). This may be the best way to prevent gonorrhoea or any sexually transmitted disease but it is not a very practical way.
- Living in a mutually monogamous relationship with a person who has been tested and is known not to be infected.
- Latex condoms are considered the best form of prevention against most sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including gonorrhoea. Regular use of condoms can significantly reduce your risk of getting gonorrhoea or other STDs, but it may not completely prevent you from getting infected. However, the use of condoms during all sexual contact is recommended.
Risk factors for gonorrhoea: Behaviours or lifestyle factors which increase the risk of gonorrhoea or other sexually transmitted diseases are:
- Not using condoms regularly (unprotected sex).
- Being sexually active from a young age.
- Being sexually active for many years.
- Having multiple sexual partners (each additional sexual partner increases your risk of being exposed to sexually transmitted diseases).
- Having sex with a person who is infected or not being aware of the infection status of your partner.
- History of other sexually transmitted diseases.
Antibiotics can cure the infection but you can get re-infected after successful treatment if you have sexual contact with a person who is infected. Hence, it is important to adopt measures to prevent gonorrhoea.
Read more articles on Gonorrhea Prevention
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.