Week 22 of pregnancy is a crucial stage so regularly visit your doctor. The best part of is that by now you must be feeling the presence of your baby.
By the 22nd week of pregnancy, you must have gained significant weight. Don’t worry about it as the baby is growing at a steady pace. You may have started feeling the baby more often now, and the experience will keep on increasing in the coming weeks. You are in the middle of the second trimester, and the best part is that the risk of miscarriage has dramatically reduced by now.
Pregnancy Week by Week - Growth of Baby in Week 22
- The baby weighs 12-1/4 ounces and is almost 11 inches long by this week.
- Lips, eyebrows and eyelids are becoming more distinct. Eyes are formed but the irises still lack pigment.
- By now the head and body are fully proportionate and baby looks like a newborn. You can have a sonogram to look at your growing baby. Even though at this stage the baby is still thin but will shortly gain weight at a quick pace.
Read: Pregnancy Week 18
- Tiny tooth buds start developing beneath the gums of the baby.
- Till the time baby is in the womb, the red blood cells (RBC) don’t have a long life. The baby’s liver has started producing enzymes that break down the RBCs and which later travel to the mother’s blood via the placenta.
- Pancreas has also started developing at a good pace.
- The brain is developing and the sensory system of the baby is quickly evolving as well. At this time the baby has started to learn the sense of touch as the brain has developed functioning neurons. The baby moves its leg, arms and also explores the feeling of touch.
- By 22 weeks of pregnancy, the ovaries and primitive eggs cells are formed in the baby girl.
Pregnancy Week 22- Changes in Mother
- You will be noticing the physical changes in your body.
- The hormonal level increases causing tenderness and tingling in breasts.
- Abdominal cramps, mood swings and irritation are also common due to changes in the hormone level.
- As the baby grows, it puts more pressure on the mother's bladder leading to frequent urination. Besides this, the blood flow may also have increased by about 40 to 50 per cent.
Read: Pregnancy Week 24
- Since your abdomen expands for accommodating the growing baby, it will develop stretch marks. Stretch marks are streaks of differently textured skin, which can vary depending on the skin colour ranging from pink to dark brown. Even though the stretch marks commonly appear on the tummy but they can also appear on thigh, breast, hip and buttock.
Pregnancy week 22 - Advice for the mother
- At this stage, you are facing many physical and emotional changes. Try to stick to a healthy diet and stay away from fried and processed food. Walking after the meal is a good way of dealing with heartburn. Swimming and light exercises are also good for digestion during pregnancy.
- Get rid of your pregnancy blues by talking to your partner, family and close friends. Talking it out can really improve your mood and make you feel better.
- Regularly visit your doctor, and try to take a doctor’s appointment on the time that is feasible for you. Make sure that your blood pressure is checked at every appointment with the doctor. It is very important that you keep a constant check on your pregnancy week by week development.
Read more articles on Pregnancy Week by Week.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth App.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.