Pregnancy week 21 is a period of relief for pregnant women. All the early pregnancy symptoms and complications are gone by now. Read on for details.
The moms-to-be is halfway through their pregnancy term and second trimester by the 21st week, so it’s important to continue watching what they eat, drink and how they exercise at this stage.
There are many things happening on the inside and outside of mom’s body, however, most are not yet noticeable.
Pregnancy Week by Week - Baby’s Development in Week 21
- In this week of pregnancy, the umbilical cord will increase in size and become thicker
- By now the baby must be 7.2 inches long and must weigh 10-1/2 ounces
- The blood circulation of the baby will also increase
- The placenta grows similar to the size of the baby
- By now the eyebrows and eyelids are fully developed
- Fingernails start covering the fingertips
- Your baby is swallowing amniotic fluid that will help in the development of the digestive system
- Hiccupping will start this week
- Baby starts recognising sounds. They hear and the most amazing part is that they will react accordingly outside the womb as well
- You will start getting full-fledged kicks and nudges from your baby
- Vagina will begin to form in the case of a girl child
Read: Pregnancy Week 20
Symptoms of Pregnancy Week 21
- By week 21 usual discomforts related to pregnancy are gone
- Your uterus will be about half an inch above your belly button
- There is a noticeable increase in your appetite
- You may even develop varicose (swollen) veins. Since your uterus is growing it puts pressure on the large veins which result in varicose veins
- There may be slight swelling on your legs and feet. You can get relief from the pain by elevating your legs and feet.
- You may also notice spider veins on your body, especially on the face, ankle and legs
Read: Pregnancy Week 22
Advice for Pregnancy Week 21
- At this stage of pregnancy, it becomes more important to relax both physically and mentally. Remember that your baby feels exactly what you feel.
- If you have swelling in your feet and legs then avoid standing in one posture for longer durations. Besides this increasing water intake can also help in alleviating the problem.
- Stick to a balanced diet and take plenty of sleep.
- Stay away from fried and processed food.
- If you are still facing problems of blurred vision, vaginal bleeding and nausea then immediately talk to your doctor about it.
- Sleeping with a pillow right between your knees can help to reduce leg pain.
- Maternity belts can be used for preventing edema between your knees.
Read more articles on Pregnancy Week by Week.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth App.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.