People with a slipped or herniated disc can also do pilates. Here are five Pilates exercises for slipped disc recovery that you can do.
Pilates is one of the preferred systems when it comes to recovering from slipped discs or herniated discs and bulging discs. When the disc which is the natural cushioning between the vertebrae which provides the shock-absorption and mobility to the vertebrae gets out of the state and starts protruding out. The most important thing to consider is strengthening the area around it to provide the stability so that this disc can no longer pressing the nerves. Usually what happens is that the disc slips out of the state and then it compresses onto the nerves and that is what causes troubles like pain, spasms, etc.
Pilates exercises strengthen the trunk and lower back area which is the core. Doing these provide the stability so that the injury remains unaffected and reduces compression on the nerve as well. Depending on the place where the slip disc is, we should be focusing on the lower back area as that is where most of the slipped disc issue happens due to high mobility and no bone structure to provide stability.
5 Pilates Exercises for Slipped Disc
1. Pelvic Bridge and Crunch with bridge
- Lie down on your back with the bottom on the ground and knees are bent.
- Lift your bottom up and down.
- It is important that you do not put stress on your shoulders.
- Keep the weight somewhere around your shoulder blades while lifting your hips up the ground.
This keeps the back in a comfortable position and at the same time, it lengthens the thigh muscles, glutes and works your back muscles.
2. Leg extensions
- Get in the position as shown in the picture with your legs and arms touching the ground.
- Stretch one leg and keep the foot on the ground.
- Stabilise your back and lift the leg up and down.
3. Flying Dog
- Get into the same position as the above exercise.
- Now, do opposite arm and opposite knee stretch.
- As you exhale, stretch out the muscles.
4. Side Plank or Mermaid
While doing this, it is important to work not only the trunk part but also the muscles and back muscles. You also need to work on the side muscles with slip disc problem because that is what provides more stability.
- First, we will go on the side.
- The lower leg will be bent and the top leg will be stretched out.
- Just move the legs making small motions up and down.
- However, if there is any discomfort then instead of moving, hold this position.
- The advanced version of the side plank is stretching both legs out.
- Stack legs one on another and you will just hold the position.
5. Beatle on the back
- Lie down on the back with your arms and legs stretched out parallel to each other.
- Do small movements like a beatle which is on the back trying to come back up.
- If somebody is stiff in their hamstrings, then they must put cushions under the back and soften their knees while doing the exercise.
Slipped disc is a serious issue that should be treated properly. A person with slipped or herniated disc needs to take precautions while exercising. The pilates exercises are recommended by an expert and while doing you must follow the instructions carefully to not put yourself at risk.
Read More Articles in Exercise and Fitness
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.