Light therapy is an effective procedure to relieve pain occurred due to several medical conditions. Take a look at what light therapy is and how it works.
Light therapy is a modern medical procedure, wherein heat penetrates into the bones to resolve health ailments such as pain and diseases and strengthen the immune system. Physiotherapists and other health care professionals recommend light therapy to get rid of acute and chronic musculoskeletal pain.
All about Light Therapy
- It is also referred to as photo bio-stimulation, wherein affected tissue is exposed to light radiation to reduce or treat pain and stiffness.
- Laser light when focused in a column does not disperse much over the treatment area and emit light rays at one wavelength.
- Infrared light therapy is one of the most popular forms of light therapy, wherein infrared spectrum is bombarded onto the treatment area to provide relief from minor muscle and joint pain. It can also be used to treat arthritis, muscle spasm, stiffness, relax muscle tissues and streamline blood circulation.
- The infrared beam acts on blood’s haemoglobin so that it releases nitric oxide. As a result of nitric oxide release, dilation of blood vessels takes place, thereby increasing blood circulation to deliver much-needed oxygen to the tissues.
- Increased blood circulation and healing of damaged tissues assures that the pain is decreased and gradually eliminated.
Pain Relief Light Therapy Devices
Nowadays, there are several mediums to perform light therapies. Light therapy electronic devices have also evolved over the years. These devices are preferred for treatment as these promise immediate pain relief and are easy-to-use.
Mentioned below are some benefits rendered by light therapy devices.
- Streamlining of blood circulation
- More oxygen and nutrients to different cells for healing
- Relief from pain and stiffness associated with arthritis
- Relief from minor muscle and joint aches and stiffness
- Relaxed muscles
- Relief from muscle spasms
Some of the devices also promise anti-aging benefits such as reduction of wrinkles, fine-lines, blemishes and coarse skin texture.
Side-effects of Light Therapy
Light therapies are usually considered safe, but, the treatment may have side-effects if you do it along with other treatments. Among possible side-effects of light therapy include:
- visual disturbances
To avoid such complications, you must consider your medical history before beginning light therapy. The side-effects can also be reduced to a great extent by limiting the time spent under light. Individuals with sensitive eyes/skin or any medical condition must consult a physician before going through light therapy. The health care provider must know if you are undergoing another treatment or an alternative therapy. A combination of two therapies may also be fatal.
Read more articles on Light Therapy
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.