• shareIcon

MODY: When should one seek medical advice?

Updated at: Jan 19, 2013
Written by: Dr Poonam SachdevPublished at: Jan 03, 2012
MODY: When should one seek medical advice?

Seek medical advice or consult general physicians, endocrinologist if you are suspecting the symptoms of MODY.

Signs and symptoms of MODY like type 2 diabetes usually develop gradually. Many people may have had elevated blood sugar for years before MODY is diagnosed.

Consult your doctor if you have any/all of the following symptoms suggestive of some type of significant medical problem:

  • Dry mouth and increased thirst.
  • Increased frequency of urination during night.
  • Increased hunger or appetite.
  • Blurred vision or any other problem with vision.
  • Dry, itchy skin.
  • Weight loss.
  • Slow-healing sores or frequent infections.
  • Feeling unusually tired or weak.
  • Tingling or numbness in the hands or feet.
  • Frequent or recurrent skin, gum, bladder or vaginal fungal infections.

These are some symptoms that may be present in a person with MODY. If you have one or more of the above symptoms, it does not mean you have maturity onset diabetes of the young (MODY). Similar symptoms can be caused by several other medical problems. If any of the above symptoms persist for more than a few days, consult your doctor for diagnosis and treatment of the underlying cause.


Who to consult : Health professionals who can be consulted to evaluate your symptoms include:

  • General physicians.
  • Family doctor.
  • Assistants of physicians.
  • Internists.
  • Endocrinologist, who specializes in diabetes.


Read more articles on Understand Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young (MODY)



All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK