It is not impossible for older men to father children, in fact, many men remain fertile until they are 60. But conceiving does become more difficult and complicated as you age. It takes longer: If a man is over and the woman is under 25, it can ta
Male infertility is owing to low sperm production, abnormal sperm function or blockages which prevent the delivery of sperm.
- chronic health problems
- faulty lifestyle choices
and other factors can be the culprits here. Moreover, fertility decreases with advancing age. Infertility may manifest according to the causes. Genetic and drug-induced can manifest early in life. Stress-induced infertility can also be seen in the early reproductive age group.
Trauma, infections can cause infertility in an early age group along with:
- medical disorders
that is undescended testes, drugs and alcohol, smoking, exposure to high temperatures especially at:
- extreme obesity strenuous exercise
- unexplained or idiopathic
They do not stop being sexually active but age-related sexual drive, desire, and frequency do decrease if all other causes are ruled out. Men may exhibit symptoms like inability to have full penetration in cases of:
- erectile disorders
- crooked penis
- premature ejaculation
All you need to know about the awareness regarding male infertility
- People having problems with having sex are aware of infertility, for example- erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Here, the patient is more stressed regarding performance inadequacy rather than infertility which is an indirect result.
- Painful sex due to infections can also make them aware but that too of inadequate sex. In the case of undescended testes, the patient can be aware that the scrotum is small or empty, while others are diagnosed during a couple of evaluation through a Semen Analysis test.
How can it be diagnosed?
Proper family history and physical examination are carried out which is followed by:
- blood tests
- semen analysis
Are there any risks associated with male infertility?
Apart from the inability to impregnate, there are risks associated with underlying disorders like:
- pituitary disorders
- genital infections
- make the wife pregnant
- erectile dysfunction (ED)
- premature ejaculation (PE)
lead to psychological stress in the couple and relationship problems.
How to treat male infertility?
- Treatments vary according to the underlying disease and the degree of the impairment of male fertility. Usual approaches include using the sperm for intrauterine insemination (IUI), in vitro fertilization (IVF), or IVF with intracytoplasmatic sperm injection (ICSI).
- Ejaculatory factors may be treatable by medication, or by IUI therapy or IVF. Vitamin E can be given for combating oxidative stress. Hormones can be used for the hypo-hypo type of infertility.
How can men boost fertility and sperm count?
- Medications for increasing the sperm count and motility are available. Judicial use depending on the results of Semen analysis can give desired results. Overcoming stress, wearing loose undergarments and avoiding genital exposure to high temperatures can improve fertility.
- Embrace a healthy lifestyle as severe stress, alcohol, smoking and the use of hard drugs may affect your sperm count. If any of these habits are part of your lifestyle, then get rid of them.
Infertility stress can ruin sex drive, how can men have a happy sex life?
Couple counseling is key here. Understanding of the underlying cause by both partners paves the way for better outcomes. Sexual therapy works wonders for EF and PE. Proactive participation by both partners gives encouraging results. Pregnancy can be easily achieved by ART techniques; happy and satisfied sexual life can be achieved by mutual understanding and encouragement.
(With inputs from Dr. Anu Vinod Vij, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Motherhood Hospital, Kharghar)
Read more articles on Men's Health
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.