Several prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medications can cause increase in blood pressure. Besides medication some types of supplements can also raise your blood pressure.
Some medications and supplements known to increase blood pressure are
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as Ibuprofen, Meloxicam, Naproxen)
- Antidepressants such as Venlafaxine, bupropion, Desipramine, Phenelzine
- Birth control or oral contraceptive pill
- Adrenal steroid hormones
- Caffeine and certain medications that contain caffeine
- Decongestants such as pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine, oxymetazoline,
- Immunosuppressants such as cyclosporine, methylprednisolone, tacrolimus
- Stimulants such as methylphenidate
- Illicit drugs or drugs of abuse such as amphetamines, methamphetamine, anabolic steroids, cocaine, ecstasy, and phencyclidine.
- Herbal supplements such as bitter orange, ephedra, ginseng, guarana, licorice, St. John's wort etc.
Image source: Getty