The authentic Guajarati cuisine is made from fresh pitted dates. As you may be aware, all Guajarati dishes are spicy, sweet and salty all at once.
Date desserts surely are a thing to drool for, the scrumptious sweet taste of date desserts is indeed incomparable but have you ever tried tomato and date curry? We bet, no. The authentic Guajarati cuisine is made from fresh pitted dates. As you may be aware, all Guajarati dishes are spicy, sweet and salty all at once.
Here is the recipe for lip smacking date and tomato recipe.
- Vegetable oil or olive or or any light cooking oil
- 1 Red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 ½ tspn of grated fresh ginger
- 2-3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tspn of mustard seeds
- 1 ½ tspn of cumin seeds
- ¼ tspn of ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp of chili paste
- ½ tspn of hing powder
- 1 kg medium ripe tomatoes and remove the center part along with seeds
- Sea salt
- 1-2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 ½ tbsp of shaved palm sugar
- 4 fresh pitted dates cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of hung curd
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh coriander
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and heat a little oil.
- Cook the red onion in it along with garlic and ginger. Keep stirring, don’t let it burn.
- Now, add the cumin and mustard seeds. Let the aroma of the spices come out.
- Add the chili paste and hing powder and turmeric powder, sauté the mixture well.
- After the mixture acquires a texture and luscious color, add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt and sugar with a little stock. Sauté for about 10 minutes until the tomatoes become tender. Keep stirring and keep adding the stock. Let the tomatoes and dates collapse.
- Your lip smacking Gujarati date and tomato curry is ready.
- Garnish with curd and chopped coriander. Serve hot.
Image source: Getty
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.