Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you will alone. Laughter is one of the best medicines and cheapest too! Why do we laugh? It is because it is one of the greatest mysteries of the universe.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you will alone. Laughter is one of the best medicines and cheapest too!
Why do we laugh? It is because it is one of the greatest mysteries of the universe. When we perceive something as funny, we tend to laugh. The brain compels us to do two things simultaneously when we laugh. One is visual which is determined by facial gestures, second is phonic which produces certain sounds. "Ha, ha, ha, ho, ho, ho!" may sound funny but it is a daily exercise for those who consider laughter a medicine. No wonder, laughter therapy is gaining popularity all over the globe.
Laughter is a healing activity. You may have seen a movie called Patch Adams, which is about a real life doctor who uses laughter for healing. Laughter along with an active sense of humor may help protect you against a heart attack, according to a recent study by cardiologists at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore. The study indicates that laughter helps prevent heart diseases. It was found that people with heart disease were 40 per cent less likely to laugh in a variety of situations compared to people of the same age without heart disease.
Benefits of Laughing
Have you ever noticed, you feel relaxed after laughing? Laughter makes it easier for us to cope with different challenges in life. It improves and strengthens the immune system and helps prevent a number of diseases. Laughter therapy can be used to cure diseases such as hypertension, ulcers, arthritis, stroke, diabetes and even heart disease. It offers good relaxation and helps you relieve stress and depression. "Laughter is a wonderful medicine. When we laugh certain substances are released during the process of laugh that lead to a feeling of well being. Moreover the laughter will protect you from stress related disorders. So I suggest people to laugh as much as they can," says Dr. (Col) B Kalra, denior heart specialist.
- Laughter reduces the levels of certain hormones which are associated with stress response. Thus it helps relieve stress, depression, anxiety, grief, anger and irritation. Laughing also decreases pain by releasing a hormone, called endorphins.
- Laughing is very beneficial for people suffering from hypertension. It helps bring blood pressure to normal.
- Laughter is a good workout for respiratory, abdominal, leg, back and facial muscles. This activity is advantageous for digestion as well as absorption. Laughter also helps burn calories and is beneficial for weight loss.
- In addition to physical health benefits, laughing offers several psychological health benefits. It boosts self-confidence and gives mental strength to cope with conflicts and challenges in life. It improves out mental health and makes us forget all tensions.
Importance of laughter therapy
Take out some time to know the importance of laughter therapy and a good session of laughter can benefit you completely. We probably realize the importance of laughter only when we grow out of our childhood days. Do we really need a reason to laugh?
Notice the beauty of a child when s/he bursts into uncontrollable laughter. That's the beauty of laughter! Laughter therapy provides you a great way to get rid of stress. Laughing also helps to motivate a person. This in turn, releases all the positive energy.
A good session of loads of laughter would help one to release all the confined feelings. Laughter helps to reduce feelings of grief and depression and create a sense of well-being. No matter how negative or dejected you feel, laughter is one therapy that can uplift your emotional state to a very positive level. "Laughter is the best stress buster for any patient. Positive hormones released during laughter have a positive impact on heart and kidney patients," says Dr Sunil Prakash, senior nephrologist.
Laughter yoga is a powerful exercise which is low impact, scientifically proven, fun, less time-consuming and cost-effective. It is ideal for everyone, be it a child of five or an eighty-year-old. It does not strain the muscles and can be done by people with age-related problems such as weak joints and muscles. How is it different from other forms of exercises?
- Laughter yoga provides a good cardio workout. Ten minutes of a hearty laugh is equivalent to thirty minutes of jogging.
- It improves the oxygen supply to our lungs by flushing out stale air and replacing it with fresh air.
- Join a yoga class to reap the benefits of laughter yoga. You can do it alone but it is obviously going to be more fun if you do it in a group. So, try laughter yoga and laugh your way to good health.
Image Source: Sakhi
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.