New-born baby care- Parents are often worried about hurting their baby while using baby diaper pins. But there is no need to worry about it, read on and find out yourself.
The growing cost of disposable diapers, increasing awareness of the side effects of chemicals that go in the manufacture of disposable diapers are steadily leading to the increasing the popularity of cloth diapers. Cloth diapers have improved considerably and many have snaps or fabric fasteners. But to many parents the pinned pre-fold diaper appears to be the best option. However, the fear that the pin may hurt the baby discourages many parents from the use of pinned cloth diapers. But you really need not fear baby diaper pins. It is quite easy to use diaper pins once you learn the basics. Read on to know how to use baby diaper pins.
- Take care of your newborn while changing the diaper pin. If you have a changing table, make your baby lie on a towel or mat on the floor.
- Remove the dirty diaper and clean the buttocks, back and thigh thoroughly. For baby girls remember to check their labia and vagina as it can get soiled with stool.
- Take a fresh diaper and place it under the baby's bottom. Whether you want to tie the diaper or use baby diaper pins it should have "wings" free on either side of the baby's back.
- Take out the front of the diaper up between the baby's legs and bring it over at the baby’s belly. Hold the diaper in position on the baby’s belly (with your left hand if you are right handed or right hand if you are left handed).
- Pull both the wings from each side and bring it over the belly. Hold both the wings and the front of the diaper over the baby’s belly.
- Hold baby's diaper in place with two fingers inside the diaper and the thumb on the outside (so that your fingers are between the diaper cloth and the baby’s belly). Pull the diaper snugly from all the sides.
- Now use the diaper pin to pin the diaper. Use your dominant hand (the hand you use to do most work) and insert the pin through several layers of fabric. Ensure that it does not go not all the way through all the layers of the cloth. Then push the pin out from the top of the fabric. Insert the point of the pin into the locking head. Or you can insert a pin for each wing separately by holding the front of the diaper and the wing and then pinning it up through several layers of fabric with your fingers between the diaper and baby's skin to avoid injury to the baby.
Using baby diaper pins to pin a cloth diaper is not a tough task once you get the hang of it. Most importantly wash your hands before and after changing your baby's diaper (cloth or disposable) and change the diaper frequently to prevent diaper rash.
Read more articles on Newborn Care.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.