Peeling skin is not a season biased skin condition that comes once in a year and never comes back until the same time next year. Learn how to treat it.
Does your skin fall off in little flakes? Do you have skin that seems to be peeling away on its own? There is no reason to panic or worry. Our skin goes through a natural peeling process every 28 days. During this process, old skin cells are sloughed away and new ones are produced.
[Read: How to Heal Chafed Skin]
Peeling skin can have many external causes such as sunburn, blisters, eczema, psoriasis or very dry skin. These conditions may cause the skin to become itchy and dead skin to peel off in flakes or larger pieces.
• Sunburn: this occurs with overexposure to the sun. The UV rays may damage the skin until it literally peels off. Taking a cool shower, applying white vinegar to the affected area, and usingcold compresses to relieve pain will help with sunburn.
• Eczema: is a common rash that makes the skin peel and itch. Consult a specialist and usean over-the-counter cortisone cream twice daily.
• Psoriasis: is another fairly common skin condition that leaves the skin flaky and peeling, often causing a lightening discolouration. Consulting a specialist for prescribed medication is recommended here.
Following the remedies below can safely and effectively stop skin peeling:
1) Apply soothing moisturizing cream: Moisturizers stimulate the skin's production of Collagen and Elastin- causing the skin to gain volume and tighten, thereby stopping peeling. Choose an unscented lotion, balm or cream and apply as often as you like on the affected areas to keep the skin moist and soft. Ideally, look for moisturizer’s containing Antioxidants and Hayluronic Acid as these help repair the skin and promote growth. Do not put butter or heavy ointments on sun burned skin, as they can cause skin irritation.
2) Apply pure Aloe Vera gel to peeling skin: The aloe vera plant contains agents that can sooth and moisturize peeling skin. Apply the gel twice daily, especially after bathing or showering. Aloe Vera gel is now easily found in stores in India, or you can keep a plant and use the gel from its large succulent leaves.
3) Apply Vitamin E oil: this has antioxidant properties that help keep the skin moisturized as well as reduce the redness that often accompanies peeling skin. Gently rub the oil on the peeling skin preferably daily.
4) Use natural ingredients: a variety of natural remedies can be used to help.
• Using natural Oats as a scrub with your bath in preferably cool water. Adding some to the water helps loosen and slough away dead skin cells.
• Applying fresh mint leaf paste to your peeling skin can help hydrate your skin, preventing it from further peeling.Blend a cup of mint leaves into a paste and apply directly on the affected areas before a bath.
• Massaging honey onto your peeling skin as it is a natural moisturizer that is easily absorbed by the skin. Allow it to sit for half an hour before rinsing off thoroughly.
• Grate a cucumber and apply its pulp to peeling skin regularly as a natural moisturizer.
• Mix some olive oil, honey, and turmeric into a blender to make a paste, and then spread on peeling skin every day.
5) Eat healthier: Diets rich in Iron and Vitamins A, B and C help with good skin. Increasing your protein intake may help so eat a healthy balanced diet filled with fruit and vegetables.
Tips to Help
Often peeling skin is caused merely by dryness and this is easily helped:
• Do not pick or peel: as tempting as it maybe, it is better not to pick at the affected skin.
• Don’t scratch it: Scratching maybe thought of to give relief, but it intensifies the peeling and itching and may causean infection.
• Don’t tear it: It is wiser to trim hanging skin with a clean scissor rather than pull at it. This may cause bacteria in the torn area and lead to infections.
• Drink fluids: especially after being in the sun, ensure liquid replenishment.
• Avoid Sun exposure: especially to the affected areas. Use a sunscreen if you must step out.
Read more articles on Skin Care.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.