How to Reduce Back Pain: To treat back pain that is troubling your routine life, check these effective pain management techniques.
Back pain is a common occurrence in adults and is often caused when a muscle is accidently pulled or when there is muscle strain or an injury. The intensity of back pain can range from mild to severe. If you are suffering from mild back pain, you may resort to natural treatments such as taking herbs or doing exercises to bring relief to your condition. In the case of severe backache, get in touch with an orthopaedic before your life comes to a standstill because of the pain. Below are some back pain management techniques.
Natural Remedies for Back Pain
You may take help of natural therapies/remedies to ease the back pain. Do, however, remember that these remedies are not used as an alternative to conventional care techniques but in conjunction with them.
- Turmeric: It is a natural anti-bacterial herb, an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory substance, which is strong enough to reduce inflammation in the body. According to a study published in 2007 in the journal "Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology", curcumin, an ingredient in turmeric, is effective in hindering the activity of inflammatory chemicals in the back. This way, it works in the form of anti-inflammatory medications.
- Other herbs that can effectively ease back pain are balm mint, wild yam, meadowsweet, Jamaican dogwood, feverfew, passionflower, white willow bark and wintergreen. These herbs have analgesic action and therefore, bring instant relief to pain and aches. Consult a herbalist for the right use of these herbs for back pain.
Exercises for Reducing Back Pain
- Wall Slides: Stand upright against a wall. Slowly bend your knees 45 degrees. Hold this position for a count of five. Do not bend your knees too much as this can put extra strain on your lower back. Repeat this exercise thrice in a day. Each set will comprise five repetitions.
- Supine Leg Raise: Lie flat on your back and raise the left leg two feet above the ground. Hold the leg in the position for ten seconds and repeat the same procedure with the right leg. Do this exercise twice in a day. Every time you exercise, perform two sets of five repetitions each.
- Semi Sit Ups: Lie flat on your back with the knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Raise your head and shoulders slightly off the ground. Hold this position for a count of ten. Relax and return to the original position and repeat this exercise five more times.
Other Back Pain Management Techniques
- Take an over-the-counter painkiller to ease your condition. It is, however, advised that you consult your doctor before taking any type of medication.
- Lie on your stomach and place a heating pad for 20 minutes on the aching part of your back. This will improve the pain to a great extent. Try this method thrice in a day.
- Bad sitting/sleeping posture often leads to back pain. Go through a back massage to relieve the tension on the back muscles.
Consult an orthopaedic to treat back pain if it is getting severe each passing day despite of taking necessary measures or if the above discussed remedies have failed to bring relief.
Read more articles on Back Pain.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.