Spread of chikungunya can be prevented by keeping the surroundings clean. Protect yourself from mosquito bites and spray insecticides to control the growth of mosquitoes.
Chikungunya fever is a viral disease caused due to bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. Currently there is no vaccine or any other preventive medication for chikungunya fever. The only way you can prevent yourself from chikungunya fever is don't get bit by a mosquito. Ways to prevent chikungunya fever include:
- Take precautions to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes.
- Control breeding of mosquito.
Precautions to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes: Some precautions which can help to reduce the risk of mosquito bites are:
- Sleep in a mosquito net (especially during the daytime).
- Close the windows at dawn and dusk (active mosquito times) to prevent mosquitoes from entering your house.
- Wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts which cover most of your body. You can apply an insect repellent like permethrin (a common synthetic chemical insecticide) to your clothing and shoes.
- Use flying-insect spray to kill mosquitoes in the house or mosquito coils or repellents. But avoid long term use of these things.
- If possible have window nets and door nets to prevent the entry of mosquitoes in the house.
Ways to reduce mosquito breeding:
- Aedes mosquito breeds in water collections in and around human living areas such as water storage containers (drums and barrels, earthen pots and jars), desert coolers, unused tyres, open overhead tanks, open cement tanks, rain barrels, potted plant trays, and birdbaths. Drain all the potential sources of water where the mosquito can breed.
- Ensure that drainage is either closed or use chemicals to kill mosquito larvae (larvicides) in the open drains.
- In water bodies such as a pond which contains stagnant water or use biological methods such as fish varieties in the pond which will eat the mosquito larvae.
Most importantly patients with chikungunya fever should avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes to prevent transmission of infection to others.
Read more articles on Chikungunya Prevention.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.