How to cure headaches during pregnancy? Headaches are one of the most common challenges faced by pregnant women. This articles includes ways to cure headaches during pregnancy.
Headaches during pregnancy are one of the most common challenges faced by pregnant women, particularly during the first and the third trimester. During the first trimester, they are generally caused by the sudden surge of hormones along with increased blood volume circulating in the body. In the third trimester, they occur due to posture and the tension of carrying extra weight or due to preeclampsia, a condition in which the blood pressure of the body increases drastically during pregnancy. Medication during pregnancy should be restricted as far as possible and if absolutely necessary, should be taken only after due consultation with the doctor.
How to cure headaches during pregnancy: Handy Tips
- The best way is to avoid tension. If you still get a headache due to tension, a cold compress or an ice pack applied to the base of the neck helps.
- A sinus headache can be cured by a warm compress applied around the eyes and nose.
- Eat more frequent, smaller meals to control the blood sugar. This prevents future headaches.
- Get plenty of rest and relaxation. Lie down in a dark, quiet room and relax.
- Practice deep breathing to keep tension at bay. This can cure headaches during pregnancy.
- Shoulder and neck massage is sometimes very effective to reduce headaches during pregnancy.
- Avoid common triggers of migraine headaches such as chocolates, alcohol, yoghurt and peanuts.
- Include physical activity or some form of exercise in your daily routine. Gentle aerobic exercises, walking or swimming can be very helpful.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Maintain good posture as poor posture can result in headaches, especially due to weight gain during pregnancy.
- If headache persists, consult your doctor. Generally, acetaminophen and Tylenol are considered safe but it is always better to get the doctor’s advice. Aspirin and ibuprofen are to be definitely avoided.
- Acupuncture and biofeedback are known to relieve headaches during pregnancy.
- Keep your environment healthy. Headaches will aggravate in a smoky, badly ventilated room.
- Avoid noisy places and crowded areas. Open spaces and fresh air helps in providing relief.
- Sometimes a cold shower or splashing some cool water on your face can bring some temporary relief.
- Do not go hungry or thirsty for a long period. Always keep snacks handy. Avoid sugary treats such as candy, which can cause your blood sugar level to surge or crash.
Read more articles on Problems during Pregnancy
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.