It is important for parents to prevent their children from getting pregnant in teenage. If you are a parent to a teenage, read here for crucial advice.
Teenage pregnancy happens when teens indulge in sexual intercourse without using of safe methods of contraception. They simply give free rein to their desires, without understanding the consequences. Condoms are not easily accessible to teens and moreover, they are often too shy to ask for it from a chemist store.
In some cases, teen pregnancy occur due to the improper use of the condoms. Leakage and breakage of condoms is common among teens as they are naive to its correct use, which leads to trouble. If you are a parent to a teen and are wondering about how to prevent them from getting pregnant at this age, the given advice can come in handy.
- Have a conversation with your child about sex as soon as he/she reaches teenage. If you find starting the discussion difficult, relate scenes from movies or TV shows as examples to initiate the conversation.
- Always keep tabs on the whereabouts of your teen, about their peer group, and the activities they want to do together. You should also try to know about the family of your teen’s friends.
- Do not allow dating so early. Encourage them to take part in group activities.
- In case of your daughter, the boy she dates should not be more than two years older than her; and in case of your son, the girl he dates should not be more than two years younger than him.
- Know all about the kind of media influence your teen is getting exposed to. Learn about the kind of music he/she likes, the magazines read and the content surfed by them on internet. This is to prevent them from getting exposed to indescent sexual information.
Only sex education is not sufficient; they need to be told the practical use of the product. Teenagers must know where they can obtain contraceptives from, and what preventive measures can be practised to avoid pregnancy. Hazards of child birth and abortions can cause death or life long disability. Teenage pregnancy is a trauma, which a young woman goes through. It is shocking to see the statistics of the surveys. According to these surveys, girls among the age group of 13 to 15 are no longer virgins and boys loose virginity at the age of 14 to 15 in developing countries.
Most of them are not aware of the precautions and availability of the contraceptives. Every year there are millions of cases of premature births, where the mother is below twenty. Seventy thousand females die every year in these developing countries due to the complicated cases of teenage pregnancy.
There are a number of resources and options available to help teens and their parents through this difficult situation. Most services and resources can be accessed through local public health programs. Depending on where you live, these programs may be administered though your national or local public health department or agency.
Read more articles on Teenage Pregnancy.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.