Drinking water quality is something we pay least attention to when it is supposed to be a very important part of our lifestyle. Do these things to stay healthy.
The quality of drinking water is a powerful determinant of our health. If you assure the quality of drinking water, then you are surely laying a strong preventive foundation against waterborne diseases. An important question that arises here is - how to test the quality of drinking water?
Get water report from public drinking water suppliers
Ask your local water company to send you a report on water quality. These days, municipalities are required to annually send these reports with in-depth information of chemicals present in the water. This information will give you a clearer idea of the contaminants in your drinking water. You can even find this information on the website of the company providing water to you.
There are chances that water report shows no violators and there may be an issue with your home’s plumbing or water distribution system.
- Regularly check for leakages in drinking water pipelines for avoiding contamination.
- Private wells also need considerable attention as they can contract pesticides and fertilisers from the surface.
Taste and odour
You must check your drinking water for odour and taste. The water will start tasting different if there is the presence of any unsafe chemical.
- If there is metallic taste in drinking water, it can be due to minerals leaking out of the pipes. You must opt for professional water testing to confirm the situation.
- An odour that is quite similar to the smell of rotten eggs is a clear sign of growing bacteria. This can be corrected by using the services of a plumber.
- Elevated levels of chlorine for disinfecting water can result in medicinal taste. You can call your local municipality for inquiring about it.
Take some drinking water in a clear glass and closely examine it. There must be no sediment and the water must be clear. You must periodically keep a concerned eye when your water changes colour. Orange, red or brown discolouration is due to rusted pipes and this situation must be resolved immediately.
Get a home water test kit
Though the home water test is less accurate than lab testing, but it gives you a quick idea of any contamination at the very initial stage. Moreover, they are a less expensive alternative to the lab testing of water.
Stop taking your drinking water for granted and ensure that the water you drink has passed all the needed testing procedures.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.