Recognize Chikungunya Fever Symptoms: Chikungunya is often misdiagnosed as dengue infection. To avoid the situation one needs to have thorough understanding of symptoms of chikungunya for recognising chikungunya fever.
Chikungunya is a disease that results from the infection of CHK virus that belongs to the family of togaviridae, genus alpha virus. Chikungunya typically starts with sudden fever, chills, vomiting, headache, feeling of nausea and joint pain in most of the cases. This fever is clinically very similar to dengue and is mostly misdiagnosed as dengue infection. One needs to have thorough understanding of its symptoms for recognising chikungunya fever.
Symptoms of Chikungunya
- Severe and persistent headache.
- In some of the cases of chikungunya the patient’s eyes become red and there is difficulty in directly looking at light.
- Fever- There is sudden onset of fever in chikungunya. The fever can even reach upto 104 degree Celsius but unlike the other symptoms of chikungunya such as joint pain, fever subsides quite early.
- Nausea and vomiting – A person with chickungunya infection mostly has the feeling of nausea.
- Muscle and joint pain- In chikungunya there is unbearable muscle and joint pain that usually ends with in few weeks. Even though the recovery period varies from person to person, some people get fully relieved from joint pain while others can face persistent pain even after recovery from CHK virus. Muscle and joint pain is more common in adults.
- Fatigue, lethargy, and weakness.
- Skin Rashes- Skin rashes are common in children suffering from chikungunya. In fact it is the main sign of chikungunya in children.
- Mouth ulcers, loss of taste and conjunctivitis are also reported by some patients.
- Occasionally, neurological, heart and gastrointestinal complications can occur as well.
Understanding the incubation period of chikungunya
One must remember that the symptoms of chikungunya fever are evident after two to twelve days of mosquito bite.
Read more articles on chikungunya symptoms
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.