Eating the right food cooked in the right way can help you to lose weight. Here is how you can lose wieght eating potatoes.
If you have love for potato and are also trying to lose extra weight then here is a sure shot guide for you to lose weight with potatoes.
Having potatoes makes you gain weight’ is a common perception. Although, potatoes are filling, they are moderate in calories and a non-fattening food option. Owing to the many nutrients that potatoes are dense with, they can help multiply a dieter’s efforts in losing weight.
How Potatoes Help in Weight Loss
According to the USDA's Nutrient Data Laboratory, whole potatoes provide fibre, a nutrient that helps to lose weight by producing a feeling of fullness. Fibre-rich foods, such as potato, help to control appetite, thus, there is not much room left for fattening foods.
According to The Doctors Book of Food Remedies, an average-size baked potato with skin fulfils 48 per cent of vitamin C and 40 per cent of vitamin B6’s daily requirement. Other nutrients that it provides include copper, manganese and potassium. By fulfilling the nutritional needs of body without adding too many additional calories, potatoes can help reduce body weight.
Whether potatoes should be a part of weight-loss food plan or not is debatable. Most health experts do agree on keeping a calorie-count and making requisite food choices. Besides weight-loss foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins, one may include potatoes in their dietary regimen, but they must ensure that the diet is not overloaded with food items.
Health Benefits of Potatoes
- The nutrient-dense and half soluble potatoes help to keep cholesterol within the normal rang
- Having potato slows the digestion, which in turn helps one feel full for long
- Phytochemicals, kukoamine and flavanoids present in potatoes help to control blood pressure
- Potatoes are heart-healthy foods, rendering nutrients, such as vitamin C, potassium, iron, copper and vitamin B6
- Some health experts recommend eating at least one potato a day to those with trouble maintaining normal blood-pressure levels
How to Store, Cook and Serve
- Potatoes must be stored in a dry, cool, dark and ventilated place. These should never be refrigerated as starch converts to sugar. Remember not to store them with onions to prevent rotting
- Don't wash them until you're ready to cook. Sprout buds and bad spots should be taken off. Soft or green potato should never be cooked
- Potato retains most of the nutrients when baked. If you’re boiling them, keep them whole to ensure that there is little nutrient loss. Don’t cook potatoes in butter, margarine, sour cream or cheese to make them fattening
- Besides food preparations, you may also sprinkle grated boiled potato on non-fat yoghurt to make it nutrient dense recipe
- When you are trying to lose weight, make sure that you have dishes with little added fat. If potatoes are consumed in a healthy manner, they may contribute to your weight-loss efforts
Read more articles on Weight Loss.
For more such articles, Download OnlymyHealth App.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.