Being a step-parent can be difficult, but even more so when your step-children are adults. Although the adult children may not be living with you, it is important to understand your spouse is still their mom or dad. Your approach will be a major factor in determining your relationship with them. Read on to know how to establish a positive relationship.
- Ask your spouse to help break the ice with them.
- Develop your relationship patiently; accept it is going to take time to form a meaningful relation.
- Start with being friends, earn their trust and respect, and do not try to become a parent.
- Do not threaten their relationship with their parent. Let your spouse spend time with their children alone. This will help them to appreciate that they still have their mom or dad without you being omnipresent.
- Do not try to interfere with their life. Respect their privacy and their age.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.