A common complication of diabetes is foot problems. Diabetes can lead to a wide range of foot problems. Diabetic foot ulcers is one of the most common problems of the foot related to diabetes.
Diabetic ulcers are caused due to nerve damage (neuropathy) and poor circulation. Neuropathy leads to loss of sensation or feeling in the feet. Hence people with diabetes lose their ability to feel pain and discomfort after an injury. Poor circulation decreases the body’s ability to heal and hence healing becomes hard for even a small cut or injury.
Hence in people with diabetes a small foot ulcer can turn into a serious complication that can lead to loss of your foot, your leg, or even your life.
Foot care to prevent foot complications
- Inspect your feet daily for injury, cuts, scrapes, redness, skin or nail problems
- Cut foot nails regularly. Go for pedicure regularly.
- Wear well-fitting shoes
- Avoid walking bear-foot
- Keep your feet clean and dry
- Don’t ignore any problem in your feet even a minor cut.
- Inspect your feet daily
If you note any cut, bruise or ulcer on your foot seek immediate help.
What can you to prevent foot ulcers: Besides good foot care other measures that can help to reduce the risk of foot ulcers include;
- Maintain blood sugar as normal as possible---take your medication regularly as prescribed by your doctor. Go for regular follow up for blood sugar level checking.
- Maintain healthy body weight
- Eat healthy and balanced diet
- Do regular exercises
- Avoiding smoking, and alcohol
Dr Poonam Sachdeva, our in-house medical expert talks about the why what and how in diabetes.
Read more articles on Understand Diabetes
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.