Glycemic food plays an important role in maintaining the blood sugar level, thereby controlling diabetes and other heart diseases. It is an ideal diet for those who want to lose weight quickly.
Food items containing low glycemic index are good for people having diabetes. It helps them to control their blood sugar level. It also helps to check the insulin resistance.
Low glycemic index food maintains the sugar level by controlling your urge to eat. This automatically reduces your sugar level. Low glycemic foods help us in the following ways:
- It reduces your cravings for food, thus stabilizing the blood glucose levels.
- These food items stabilize your energy levels, thereby providing long-lasting energy.
- As these foods breakdown slowly, they release glucose gradually into the blood stream and play a pivotal role in controlling established diabetes, blood lipids, weight gain, hypertension and hypoglycemia.
- Low glycemic foods also control the stimulation of food-craving hormones like Neuropeptide Y and Lipoprotein Lipase, known to cause uncontrollable hunger pangs.
- Low glycemic food helps to lose weight rapidly owing to their tendency to satisfy appetite very fast. This decreases your desire to eat.
- Food items having low glycemic index are generally low processed food. They have a very high fibre content having larger particle size. So they occupy a large portion of stomach, hence making you feel satisfied.
- These food items contain a very low amount of triglycerides. Triglycerides are responsible to cause heart diseases such as blockage of arteries in heart, blood clots in heart causing heart attacks and strokes. Thus, these food items prevent the occurrence of heart diseases.
- They are believed to impart a positive effect on the cardiovascular system of the body. They decrease the level of bad cholesterols in the body which are responsible to cause serious mental and cardiac problems.
To ensure optimum health, it is highly recommended to incorporate a wide variety of LGI foods like artichoke, avocados, broccoli, cucumber, green beans, peanuts, spinach, whole grain wheat items, oatmeal, skimmed milk, plums, cherries daily into the diet. By knowing the glycemic index of the food items one can easily keep a check on his/her weight loss. A low glycemic low accompanied with a proper exercise routine is the easiest way to remain fit and healthy.
Read more articles on Diet Plans.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.