Subscribe to Onlymyhealth Newsletter
  • I have read the Privacy Policy and the Terms and Conditions. I provide my consent for my data to be processed for the purposes as described and receive communications for service related information.

How to Discipline a Child With ADHD?

Tips for Parent By Dr Poonam Sachdev , Onlymyhealth editorial team / Feb 06, 2013
How to Discipline a Child With ADHD?

Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a common childhood developmental disorder. Children with ADHD find it difficult to concentrate and pay attention, and/or may be hyperactive. Their performance in school may not be good and may have problems with their behavior as well. ADHD is a very treatable condition and doctors and specialists can help you. Some tips on how you can encourage good behavior from your child with ADHD.

  • Do not get angry or reprimand him without warning. Say a firm “no” to discourage destructive actions.
  • Have positive and realistic expectations of him; do not make negative comments, as your behavior influences his behavior.
  • Encourage him with praise, good words, smiles, and rewards for good behavior rather than punishments for bad behavior.
  • Children with ADHD find it difficult to adapt to changes, so make his life structured - this does not mean rigidity or iron discipline – but it will make it easier for them to know what has to be done, i.e. like when to do homework, how long to watch TV, when to go to bed, etc.

Be patient and understanding with him and promote proper guidance. His pediatrician / mental health specialist can guide you regarding ways of helping to make positive changes.



Written by
Dr Poonam Sachdev
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial teamFeb 06, 2013

All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.

Trending Topics
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK