Kidney Stones Prevention- One of the best ways to prevent kidney stone is to drink plenty of fluid. Besides, this diet with high fibre and calcium also help to prevent kidney stones.
People with kidney stones, especially if there is a family history of stones, are likely to develop kidney stones again. Certain measures which can help to prevent kidney stones include:
Drink Plenty of Fluids
Drink about 8 to 10 glasses of water per day as this helps to keep the urine clear (by keeping the solutes in dissolved form) and also helps prevent kidney stones.
Dehydration is a major risk factor for kidney stones. You may not be able to start drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water per day in a day. Start by increasing 1 to 2 glasses every day till you are drinking 8 to 10 glasses a day. This way your body also gets slowly adjusted to the extra fluids. Have fluids so that your urine is clear or light yellow and if it is dark yellow, increase your water intake. People with kidney, heart, or liver disease who are on fluid restrictions, should consult their doctor before increasing their water intake.
Change of Diet
Your doctor may do tests before recommending changes in your diet. If the results of the test suggest that change of diet can reduce your risk for developing another stone, your doctor will recommend changes based on the following analysis:
- Increase your fibre intake. Foods rich in fibre include oat bran, beans, whole wheat breads, wheat cereals, cabbage, and carrots.
- Reduce your intake of beef, pork, and poultry.
- Increase intake of calcium-rich foods, such as dairy products. Intake of adequate amounts of calcium, combined with a diet low in sodium and protein may decrease the risk of certain types of kidney stones.
- Avoid grapefruit juice as it may increase your risk for developing kidney stones.
- Avoid foods that contain high amount of oxalate, such as dark green vegetables, nuts, and chocolate.
- Avoid adding salt when you cook or eat.
Read more articles on Kidney Stones Prevention
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.