Measures to control filaria are as follows:
- Detection and appropriate treatment of people with microfilaria in blood (microfilaria carriers) and
- Anti mosquito measures.
The National filarial control program:
- Gives medicine that kills the microscopic worms to the entire community.
- Uses anti-mosquito measures which includes use of antilarval measures at weekly intervals in urban areas and indoor residual spray in rural areas. Insecticide used to kill larva include temephos, Fenthion. Filling ditches, pits, low lying areas, deweeding also help to control mosquito breeding.
Another major measure to prevent filariasis includes avoiding mosquito bites. The culex mosquito that spreads filarial infection generally bites between the hours of dusk and dawn. If you live in area where filaria is prevalent take measures to prevent mosquito bites.
Measures to avoid mosquito bites include
- Wear protective clothing such as long pants and long-sleeved shirts.
- If required use permethrin (a common synthetic chemical insecticide) on your clothing and shoes. Clothes pretreated with permethrin are also available.
- Use insect repellent if needed. DEET insect repellent is available as liquids, lotions, and sprays. Apply DEET insect repellent on your exposed skin. Choose the concentration of DEET insect repellent depending on the hours of protection you need. Higher concentration of DEET, gives you longer protection.
- Keep the unscreened windows and doors closed to prevent mosquitoes from entering your house.
- Use flying-insect spray to kill mosquitoes in house.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.