To prevent Deep Vein Thrombosis, See your doctor regularly. Follow your treatment plan as your doctor prescribes, stay active if possible, and exercise your lower leg muscles during long trips.
You can take steps to prevent deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
If you're at risk for DVT or pulmonary embolism (PE), you can help prevent the condition by:
- Seeing your doctor for regular checkups.
- Taking all medicines as your doctor prescribes.
- Getting out of bed and moving around as soon as possible after surgery or illness.This lowers your chance of developing a blood clot.
- Exercising your lower leg muscles during long trips. This helps prevent a blood clot from forming.
If you've had DVT or PE before, you can help prevent future blood clots by following the above steps and:
- Taking all medicines that your doctor prescribes to prevent or treat blood clots
- Following up with your doctor for tests and treatment
- Using compression stockings as your doctor directs to prevent swelling in your legs from
Your risk of developing DVT while traveling is small. The risk increases if the travel time is longer than 4 hours or you have other DVT risk factors.
During long trips, it may help to:
- Walk up and down the aisles of the bus, train, or airplane. If traveling by car, stop about every hour and walk around.
- Move your legs and flex and stretch your feet to encourage blood flow in your calves.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothing.
- Drink plenty of fluids and avoid alcohol.
If you're at increased risk for DVT, your doctor may recommend wearing compression stockings while traveling or taking a blood-thinning medicine before traveling.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.